Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Haysecks seeking new partner for foursome

Retired rugby captain Gavin Haysecks is in need of a new partner for the forthcoming PWGA Pro-Celebrity Golf Open Championship after his pro-partner Austin Lanus was forced to pull out with a broken bone sustained during an earlier practice session.

“Obviously it was a massive blow,” said Haysecks, “and I’m hugely disappointed it had to end this way. It was great to experience his mastery first hand and I certainly learnt a few new tricks I’m looking forward to trying out when I get back home to Biddlewith Falls.”

Lanus, who dominated the game in the mid 80s, was famous for his insatiable hard-driving approach which won him the admiration and respect of fans and fellow pros alike. Former PWGA champion and long time friend Sandy Rexgod spoke warmly of Lanus’ impact on the sport.

“I remember the first time I played with Austin. Such a mixture of arrogance, confidence and down-right brute force. At every tee he’d just casually drop his balls in the box, grip his enormous wood and with an almighty swing, slap them into the middle of next week. It didn’t matter how tight the approach or what obstacles stood between him and the prize, he’d just go at it stroke after stroke, and invariable sunk it before the rest of us had even got within touching distance of the fringe.”

“I guess it’s the price you pay when you swing like I do,” mused a philosophical Lanus when asked about his injury. “As you know, I’ve never shied away from a bit of rough, and I was convinced if I pulled out the big-dog and gave it some stick I could force my way through to the hole. Unfortunately I snagged my head on the down-stroke and the old shaft simply snapped under the pressure.”

“It used to spring back when I was younger, but perhaps age is finally catching up with me,” he added waving his cast in resignation. “The docs tell me it will heal in time, but I guess I may need to reign in my enthusiasm in future”.

With only 3 days to go before the tournament opens, Haysecks now faces an uphill task trying to find someone to fill the enormous hole left by Lanus' withdrawal.


No comments: